Dear students of groups H1 and H2S, you are to write a mystery story for your homework. I have decided to make you work on one of the most mysterious events of the 20th century – the Dyatlov Pass Incident. Since it is to be a mystery story, please, put aside your common sense and let’s dive into the ocean of conspiracy theories. Yes, prepare to be investigative, creative and ready to meet many creatures lurking in the shadows (mwahahaha). Ready?
First of all I want to you look up on the Net some info regarding Dyatlov Pass incident. The links I recommend as those which use nice conspiracy theories, are as follow:
The Dyatlov Pass Incident, Scarier than Fiction by CloudedIntentions – 10 min video , but with a couple of drastic photos of the bodies found, if you don’t feel like watching – listening is OK
The St.Petersburg Times article 19th Feb, 2008
Naturally, feel free to use some other sources if you find these unsatisfactory, but try to use the English ones.
Now, here’s your task:
Imagine you are a person who saw what happened at the pass (an anonymous member of the ski-group/ member of the Mansi tribe etc.). You finally want to share your story. Write ca. 300 words
Deadline: 21/04/2013, stories are either to be handed in personally or published below this post, I don’t accept emails this time as they mysteriously disappear somewhere in the Net 🙂
To help you with this task, I will give you a couple of clues:
- Order the events (beginning, middle and end is usual, but if you want to experiment, go ahead ;P)
- Think about tenses (I recommend Past Simple & Continuous as well as both Past Perfects)
- Grammar structures (reported speech is unavoidable, you might also find relative clauses pretty useful)
- Vocabulary (remember: that is the story by a witness, some expressions concerning feelings are necessary, e.g. I felt a chill down my back/ My heart sank/ My body froze/ My stomach turned)
- Questions: you will have to answer some in your story –
- Who are you and how did you happen to be near the incident?
- What happened?
- What happened after the bodies were found? Why didn’t you share the story until now?
- How did the incident affect your life?
I hope you will find this task enjoyable and write amusing compositions. Have fun!